Welcome to MMO couples

Every one who is familiar with MMOG's (massive multiplayer online games), knows the stories of people who are so addicted to playing these games that it costs them their real life friendships and relationships. There are also stories though of people who meet in a MMOG and fall in love, like my boyfriend and I. 'MMO couples' is a tribute to our lovestory, but also an invitation to share your story and experiences with others.

Monday, May 5, 2008

How Two Rogues Pick Pocketed each other's Hearts

This evening, before the server crashed (grml, was almost done with a BM run!), I was chatting along in the guild chat. And what do I find out: a member who joined the guild recently, has also met her boyfriend in World of Warcraft! Here is their story:

"It all started out ever so innocently, like it always does. I was introduced to WoW by a friend of mine and I had just started playing. My first character was a Night Elf Rogue with blue hair... later on my boyfriend would say that it was the blue hair that had attracted him, as well as my headstrong attitude :)

Me and some people were questing in Ashenvale when another night elf rogue got invited into the party. I was excitedly slashing away at things, but when the rest of the people completed their quests they hearthed away. This other Night Elf Rogue stayed behind to help me out though. We started talking and I was intrigued by him because he seemed to be interesting, intelligent and was making me smile.

A couple of days and quests later, I gave him my email address and the next day he emailed me from his work place. The more we talked, the more excited we both got and started telling each other the stories of our lives. I found out that he lived in England and he found out that I lived in Sweden. I began feeling such profound connection with this person I hardly knew, and while trust usually never came easily to me, I felt like I could really talk with him. Only a month later, we knew we had to try and see where this was going, so he bought me a ticket to England and I flew over there to live with him for a month. It was an amazing experience that changed me in many ways and by then I already knew I was completely in love.

That was two and a half years ago, and our journey has not been easy. As Gabi has written in her own story, long-distance relationships, wherever they start, are one of the hardest things anyone can possibly go through. It has taken us a long time to come to this point and we have survived more relationship horrors than most couples probably do in their entire life... But we are still here, and we believe that everything we have gone through has made us so much stronger. Our love for each other keeps growing every day. It is surreal to think that this all started with a couple of quests in an online game - fate and chance seem to go hand-in-hand in these situations - and it's hard to even think about what my life would look like right now if I hadn't been online one day during October 2005. Yet here we are, and my boyfriend Christopher is still the most wonderful and caring person I have ever known. We have gone through fire and water to be together but now it's all finally coming together. We are currently looking for our own place in Sweden, as he is moving to live with me.

World of Warcraft is still part of our relationship and we have levelled many characters together since the day we met, having a lot of fun along the way. I also love watching him play on his PS3 and cheering him on :)

We know that there are going to be more hardships along the way, but we also believe that when you meet that right person - no matter how or where or who - you need to hold on and fight for that, because it's never going to come again. If you don't take your chances, you will never know what could have happened. One thing is for sure: he has changed my life and I wouldn't be the person I am today without him."

No comments: