Welcome to MMO couples

Every one who is familiar with MMOG's (massive multiplayer online games), knows the stories of people who are so addicted to playing these games that it costs them their real life friendships and relationships. There are also stories though of people who meet in a MMOG and fall in love, like my boyfriend and I. 'MMO couples' is a tribute to our lovestory, but also an invitation to share your story and experiences with others.

Monday, May 12, 2008

All we will say is: "Moonglade"

The woman who sent me the following story, wrote in the header 'I wasn't looking for love, but love found me!'. Enjoy the saga of a guildleader in disguise who whispered to her Night Elf Hunter for the first time in Moonglade.
*Note to self: what is this attraction between Druids and Hunters... :)

"I used WoW as a get-away from my real life issues. Work, the ex-boyfriend, just life. I enjoyed running about and exploring this fake world. In-game I was a co-guild leader of a rather large guild and was always being asked for help. Nothing new, but one night I was asked by one of my members (who I always thought was one of the best members my guild had) for some help with some quests. Unfortunately I was busy that night and couldn't help at the time. But I always remembered how nice he was and how great a member he was. I even remember the day he joined my guild. Some time later I did end up helping him with some quests, and found that he was amazingly sweet and kind. Though we weren't together long, I thought about him often and when seeing him log on over the next few nights, I wanted to speak to him but never could find an excuse to. So I never did.

Being a leader of a guild that size you sometimes just want to get away from responsibility and play the game without whispers or anything else that might come your way. I had a secret Druid alt that very very few knew was actually me. It was around the time of the Brew Fest activities and I was running around doing those events, enjoying the quiet night. Being a Druid I was able to teleport myself to Moonglade to get myself over to Darnassus much faster. Running toward the flight path I happened to mouse over a Night Elf Hunter standing in Moonglade (something you don't see too often), noticed this person was from my guild and: that sweetheart of a member! I found myself smiling and trying to think of something to say. I could not think of anything and instead just waved at him and ran off. Still to this day I'm not sure why I decided to stop, but I did and whispered him, saying who I was and hello. We stood there in Moonglade talking for about 20 minutes until he told me he was now late for something he had to be at in real life. I was extremely happy I stopped and he promised me he'd come back to chat some more. And he did! We talked for what seemed only minutes, but was actually hours. I ended up staying up all night and found out he was living in Australia and me being in the States I just couldn't stay awake any more. I had to log which was tough to do.

A while later, WoW had introduced in game voice chat. Big deal at the time for my large guild. I had thought about this Night Elf Hunter often and wished to talk to him more, but found myself being too shy to really start up conversation. For some reason that night I was on our guild's in game voice chat and never knew it. I heard someone quietly say hello to me. It was the Night Elf Hunter! I instantly was attracted to his voice, but never thought much of it, seeing it's just a game. I wasn't looking for a relationship in a virtual world. We did small talk, asking each other age, jobs, etc. I found myself really enjoying his company and thinking about him all the time. In game and out of game. We continued to talk to each other whenever possible. Either over voice chat or just in whisper chat. I soon was in parties with him all the time and invited other online friends of mine to join us for quests/chatting. They would tell me how much we flirt. I guess I never realized how attracted I was to him. We soon did everything together and were inseparable.

Finally one night, while we were talking, he told me he had something to say to me. He was thinking of transferring servers. I was heart broken. I told him right away how sad I was to hear that. How fun he really was and how I would miss him. He told me he felt the same. How he'd miss me too much and didn't want to leave, but some of his other in game buddies were leaving to a better server for his Time Zone. It was that night we both realized how we cared for each other more than just a friend in game. Seeing that I was never looking for love or a relationship of any kind, we told each other everything. The highs and lows in our lives. So honestly, there will be no surprises when we finally are together. Which is a really good thing to do.

I still remember where I was when he first told me he had something that he's been thinking about a lot and needed to say to me, but was afraid to. I finally got him to say it. I'll never forget hearing those six words "I'm falling in love with you." I was speechless, I had no idea what to say and must have been silent for some time, because he had to ask if I was still there. I'll admit, I wasn't able to say it back to him. I kept thinking to myself that this is a virtual world and you can't find love in a game. I've truly never been more wrong in my life. I can now say that I've found the love of my life and yes, in an online game! I've never been happier and I can't wait to live my life with this man. We laugh now about how when we'll be asked where we met. All we'll say is: "Moonglade"."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think that was one of the most adorable stories i have ever read in my life!!!